I come here to bury 2012, not to praise it.
The incredible highs I experienced this year were far outweighed by the soul crushing lows. I’m still at a loss for words about most things that happened this year, so I’ll try to recap the best I can while keeping it brief. I know everyone has parties to go to and too much booze to drink.
- In January, Mike and I were finally getting settled into our apartment.
- February saw me get food poisoning thanks to some undercooked bacon during fashion week.
- In March, I celebrated my 24th birthday and briefly attempted to get back together with an ex-girlfriend. Judging from this shirt, I knew even then that it was a terrible idea.
- April was relatively uneventful. I worked and enjoyed the start of Spring.
- In May, I finished the movie I’d been working on. Mike and I threw a Memorial Day party during which he lost his keys down the elevator shaft and my friend Dave and I rapped along with Watch The Throne. White people!
- Things started going wrong in June. I started my longest stretch of unemployment, I found out I was going to be a father right before finding out that I wasn’t going to be, and a friend from high school passed away.
- In July, I joined a band and started partying even harder than usual.
- August was pretty much a blur. Music, booze, brunch, repeat.
- In September, I took part in Fashion Week festivities again. This time, without the food poisoning! I continued to have way too much fun, played a show at Bowery Electric, and landed another job. Those highs made the crash down to earth even more shattering when one of my best friends passed away the very next day. The world truly lost an incredible human being.
- At that point, I kind of just sank into a deep funk. I spent most of my time being depressed and the rest trying to do my job. Other things happened, but they all kind of pale in comparison. I’m still trying to process lots of heavy things that happened this year. I’m sure I’ll be OK eventually, it’s just going slower than I’d like.
In conclusion, fuck 2012. Life is too short to not have the people you care about know it, and it’s definitely too short to care about people who don’t deserve it. Everyone have fun and stay safe out there tonight. Hug the ones you love and enjoy your time with them, because you never know.